Thousands of people die in semitruck accidents every year. Beyond that, many more people suffer serious injuries. These accidents are incredibly dangerous since trucks are so large and powerful compared to passenger cars.
So, why do these accidents occur? Each crash is different, of course, but the following are seven reasons that one truck driver gave for the accidents she'd heard of, even if she had not been in those crashes herself:
- Truck drivers get tired on the road. It's a strenuous job, but that fatigue can lead to mistakes.
- Drivers feel bored. This could lead to distraction as they look for ways to overcome their boredom.
- Drivers have very specific delivery windows. If there is a risk of being late, they may have to rush.
- Drivers may also rush simply because they get paid by the mile. Anything they can do to increase mileage can help increase wages.
- Drivers engage in reckless driving. In many cases, they do this because they're in a rush, but they could also do it because of issues like road rage, traffic congestion and the like.
- Bad weather strikes on the open road. Issues like snow, fog, rain and wind can make driving difficult.
- Semitrucks are challenging even under optimal conditions. They're huge vehicles that are harder to control than passenger cars. Drivers make mistakes, especially if they're relatively new on the job.
Have you been hit by a semitruck and suffered serious injuries? Perhaps you lost a loved one in the tragic crash. If so, you must know all of the legal options you have.
Source: Cosmopolitan, "13 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Became a Long-Haul Truck Driver," Arielle Pardes, accessed May 18, 2018